What are the Origins of ARCTIC® APPLES?
Arctic® Apples was founded by longtime apple and cherry growers Neal and Louisa Carter in 1996. While working on agricultural projects around the globe, Neal became passionate about the need to improve food systems and reduce food waste. When he later learned that apple consumption in the U.S. was declining, he saw a practical opportunity to help by creating the world’s most delicious and nutritious snack apple. After more than a decade of research and breeding in the couple’s Okanagan Valley orchards, the Arctic® apple was born.
How do Arctic® Apples stay fresher, longer?
Most apples begin browning within minutes of the apple being bitten, sliced or bruised. This is because the damage causes an enzyme called polyphenol oxidase (PPO) to react with the fruit’s phenolic content. This results in a brown-toned melanin that stains the fruit and consumes the fruit’s Vitamin C and antioxidant content. Arctic apples do not release this enzyme, allowing the apples to maintain their natural flavor, appearance and nutrition.
What are the benefits of Arctic® Apples?
There are numerous benefits Arctic® apples can offer to consumers and the rest of the supply chain:
1) Superior Flavor: Arctic® apple slices are known for their home-sliced taste.
2) Extended Shelf Life: Arctic® apples fresh slices retain their orchard-freshness with a 28-day shelf life compared with the 18-21 day industry average; reducing waste at retail, foodservice establishments and home.
3) Supply Chain: Because Arctic® apples stay fresher longer, less fruit is wasted during harvest, packing, processing and shipping, so more high-quality apples reach consumers.
4) Retailers: Arctic® apple slices are the perfect option for consumers, who increasingly seek healthy, ready-to-eat snacks. Our contact-free, grab ‘n go packaging makes it easier than ever to eat on the run, without sacrificing nutrition or taste. The longer shelf life of Arctic® apples reduces retailer’s shrink.
5) Foodservice: Arctic® apples offer “Less Prep, Less Waste, Better Taste.” Arctic® apples are pre-sliced to reduce labor. That leaves operators time to focus on new menu opportunities where apples are not generally used, such as in salads, charcuterie boards or whatever else can be imagined!
How do Arctic® Apples taste?
In a word: delicious! Our Arctic® Golden slices are sweet and crunchy, while our Arctic® Granny variety is tart and crisp. Customers say that they are the best-tasting sliced apples they’ve had in years.
Where are Arctic® Apples Grown?
All Arctic® apples are grown in Washington state.